Fifty Shades of Grey (Like Literally)




A few weeks ago I talked about how whites are perfecto for summer. Then it got me wondering: Is alabaster the only form of screaming 'It's Summer!!!'?

I know that it's paradoxical for me to be spewing 'Whites are so for summer' when I'm going to further illustrate on why 'Whites are not the only resolution for summer'. Indeed, I do find myself stuck with white t-shirt and white jeans and white clutch and white shoes and more white arm and neck accoutrements cycle more often than required during summers but there are days whereby I'd completely forgo laundry and have none other crispy clean chalky fabrics to wear (sweat kinda stain whites badly..) and I'm in need of furthering my alternatives.

I mean, I'm not going to go down punching whites by narrating (albeit more like bragging) on their high maintenance status and paramount dirt vacuum self-contradictory speech when I'm actually still going for them rather than going against them. Yes, it is tiring trying to scrub those yellowish neck line stains from your t-shirts and removing oil greases from your favourite jeans but aren't the efforts really paying off when you find yourself as light as you can be and enjoying the airy breeze that is known to be the stereotypical concept of summer when you're donned in whites? But occasionally, I don't have the luxury also known as time to be getting down on that stubborn dirt.

Since black wasn't a wise option to go absorb heat rays and further break out into sweat and staring at my vibrantly and vividly coloured closet left me repeating the obnoxiously prevalent and omnipresent statement: "I have nothing to wear!", I decided to search for the in between: Grey.

At this point of time I'd realise how much my whites have been subtly and silently turning into greys because I ran out of bleach pens. And if whites are so hard to maintain, why should we still continuously strive to achieve that crispy clean look when we can have more glazed Krispy Kreme without worrying the fact that our white would become grime? In retrospect, I'd lackadaisically pick up a white jumpsuit and then place it back whereas in contrast with a grey jumpsuit, I'd pick it up enthusiastically (and then still enthusiastically yet unwillingly placing it back because it screamed a hundred and ninety bucks and I was choosing between rent, Alexander Wang for H&M or jumpsuit. I chose Alexander Wang for H&M.) when I teetered into Zara to raid for last minute sales.

Both the items were not on sale though.

So am I annoyed with the stubborn stains or am I just subconsciously being seduced by greys?

And on the other hand, instead of actually declaring: "I have nothing to wear!" as aforementioned, de facto I'd find myself more enthralled with the middle-right side of my closet (I colour code my clothing, with whites on the left, to colours in the middle and blacks to the most right) just because the grey tartan, grey denim and grey striped shirt seems to be more appealing towards my current taste buds. Talk about love at first sight.

Right now I'm fully convinced to why I'd ingeniously opt for grey.

The first image was a day when I wore my Patterson J. Kincaid in collaboration with The Man Repeller banana embroidered tank top with a paisley shorts. I slipped into sandals because apparently, my feet was also feeling the summer heat. Then on another occasion I wore the same shorts with a tencel tee (which is most comfortable and softest t-shirt I've ever gotten by far) and slid in in my wedge sneakers because I needed that height. And just last Saturday I was trying out the whole sports trend but apparently I failed rather miserably. But don't you think the numbered shirt and wedge sneakers scream 'you're au courant!'?

No?

Image One: Man Repeller x PJK muscle tank, Topman paisley shorts, Monki bag, Charles & Keith sandals
Image Two: Zara tencel t-shirt, same Topman shorts, Buffalo wedge sneakers, Book clutch from a random furniture store because it was supposed to be a display piece
Image Three: H&M striped shirt, Topman chino shorts, same Buffalo wedge sneakers, Zara bag

Images all taken by Mr Big using iPhone 5S