The Debate Between Cut-Offs and Cut-Not


Either you go short short, or you go long long. Don't go midway.

This phrase was often told to me when I started wearing denim. I may be an epitome of walking coarse fabric (as you can see from all the previous posts), but in reality, I didn't adore denim five years ago. I had this perception when they were all proudly hung in the stores of Topman; they were harsh, uncomfortable and I somewhat got hit on my head and thought that they would be unflattering on me. It was till the extent that I would avoid conversations with my friends when they talk about how skinny jeans fit them to a t. That was when my friends realized that I had a problem. I wasn't able to comprehend how great of an invention denim was. They immediately dragged me into a store on that day - I'm not even kidding - took a pair of denim jeans (I could remember it was this slim fit mid-waisted pair) and shoved me into a room.

I was apprehensive.

But I fell in love.

A week ago I was slipping on my denim cut-offs when I had the aforementioned retrospection. They used to be jeans; once I phased out of them (I really don't know why, perhaps I was a lil' crazy) and made them into cut-offs (which caused me a pair of earpiece because I didn't realized I was cutting through them), throwing them in the washers and letting the hems fray as time goes by. Marcus Wainright was right. He once chose denim as the only fabric he would design because it does not go out of style and goes better with age.

I finally comprehended his remark a year back.

Only yesterday whilst I was pulling up my It-pants, I had an epiphany. Since denim has become an indispensable part in my life, and I've mastered the art of wearing a jacket, a jacket x jeans co-ord, a jumpsuit, a blazer suit, jeans, cut-offs, shirts and chambray shirts, if I were to be able to only choose one garment, which one would I pick?

I seldom show favouritism that leads to prejudice because I believe in equality but if I did, it boiled down to two results: Cut-offs or jeans.

I hung both of them up and contemplated on which to show bias towards. The cigarette jeans have become my power weapon. They have evolved into something so significant in my life that sliding up my (unshaved) calves, thighs and ass have meant something more than just plain shielding us for modesty's and societal's sake. I felt comfortable and confident from wearing them. I got them off the racks of Zara. There were only last three pieces and one happened to be in my size (which I then found out that they continued production for two seasons, and probably still counting). I was thankful that I didn't bought that tartan shirt at random before this.

However my denim cut-offs, snipped and frayed for a good whooping three years, was also doing me great justice in times of 'OMG, I have nothing to wear' instances. I noticed that it was not exactly practical to wear my boyfriend (the red pants link) out on a 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year temperamental summer climate that might rendition me to get legstroke (leg heatstroke that means). They are like this dark knights of justice, you can abandon them when you don't really need their assistance but seek for them (and not get bitched at for treating them as a back up) when you are faced with a 'Nothing to wear' scenario.


See what I mean? If you can't see it, then you either have to get these Marques'Almeida x Topshop denim low rise cut-offs, or a classic piece of Levi's shorts with a ripped square detail, or if you have a huge obsession with your grandma's table cloth, this Topshop patchwork mom shorts will be great for you.


Since it's actually Fall weather and we have already talked about cigarette jeans that could allow you to reproduce that effortless Parisian look, what is the harm for knowing a few more pairs? An adage goes: Sweep away the old and welcome the new. We could always make new friends like AG Adriano Goldschmied cigarette rolled up jeansKORAL light washed cigarette jeans and Zara ripped cigarette jeans (straight cut, but can be pulled off as cigarette), and not necessarily have to sweep the old ones away.

Since I haven't actually made my decision as I have a forte in being fickle-minded, I was actually comprehending the aforementioned phrase 'Don't go midway'. Why not midway? If we are faced with two separate and rather distinct pathways that we are unable to choose, why can't we pave our own way in between?

Why not denim culottes?

Images done by Mr Big. Collage images all from Google.