The Power Couple




Have you ever wondered how someone could be so confident that it would not overspill into the demarcation from confidence to cockiness? It is just this invisible aura that is constantly emitting out from their bodies, their dressing, their posture and their composure. They are looked up upon, the dreams of many individuals who desire to emulate them and even one day be like them. They are like secret undercover (or uncovered) role models not widely publicized by new media.

Three years ago, I adventured through the western part of America. I remembered this couple in Las Vegas; they had a presence so strong that it was unavoidable. In retrospect, I loved how the way they walked - she was wearing Christian Louboutin and her man was in Tom Ford - step by step they were setting foot full of assurance and certainty onto that smooth marble floor. They were at their peak of confidence and classy emanation, and it was definitely not tumbling into the line that separated cockiness. I couldn't help but to stare at them as they walked past the hotel.

'Man, I want to be like them one day.'

Fast forward three years, I could still vividly remember the air they carried. I haven't seen anyone like that before.

Perhaps it was that pair of shoes that they wore that gave them that confidence. Perhaps their shoes were their secret weapon that granted them such power and ability. One is American and the other is French. Maybe one of them is really American, while the other is French. Since in fashion terms, there are the four power houses: namely New York, London, Milan and Paris. And when two of them meet and coalesce, they become a power couple. A power couple is a couple so evidently strong, successful and attractive (as a couple) that their aura is inevitable. Think Olivia Palermo and Johannes Huebl. Think Brangelina. Perhaps that was what gave them that aura. Maybe power couple was the answer that led the two love-birds in Las Vegas to have that robust aura. When it comes to that power weapon, I couldn't help but wonder: Is the aura's lethalness only potent when it comes in a pair?

I actually found my power weapon: it was assuredly in a pair. It is this pair of Zara jeans I have gotten it off the racks during a sale season. Actually I would like to correct it: I got it off a woman's hands instead. I remember her clutching it securely, wanting to make it her power weapon too. But I managed to make it mine with a little 'Oh you put it down so I'm taking it and it's mine now!' trick.

I might have been reusing all these photos, but hey, here's the catch. If I haven't been repetitively exploiting these pair of jeans, would they actually miraculously reappear in all my other outfit-of-the-days?

Just so you know, I know what you guys might be thinking initially: 'White COS t-shirt isn't it.', but there are times that surprises might actually sprung onto you unsuspectingly. So I might have actually found mine, currently. But what about you guys?

Image One: Topshop blazer, Zara t-shirt, Zara loafers, Proenza Schouler clutch

Image Two: Feist collar, Topman t-shirt, Zara sandals

Image Three: Feist muscle tank, Monki crossbody bag, Zara sandals

Images done by Mr Big