Are We Over-Alls?




Last week I've decided to march in my Monki overalls I got from a visit in Hong Kong. It felt like polyester, but it wasn't polyester. Neither was it in my perpetually-love-and-to-die-for scabrous denim. It was soft and cushiony. It caressed my skin well that spring in Hong Kong, and it did so too now (especially in this heat ugh, it feels so good to be in something lightweight). I introspected myself in the mirror, in the overalls. "Wow, I look amaze-to-the-zing", I perceived. Suddenly, it struck to my mind.

What happened to the proliferated trend of overalls that seemed to be omnipresent three months ago?

They say that "fashions fade, style is eternal". In our existing context whereby trends are, the truth, subsets of fashion (trends usually follow after fashion, right? Trendy = fashionable), does it mean that trends are bound to evanesce? But what if, in certain aspects of other individuals' lives, when we see things at another angle, whereby trends are subsets of their style (think 90s, all black, monochromatic trend could be one's entire closet and hence, style), does this mean that trends are still pathed to dissipate? But if there are existing people with styles that cater to a particular trend, why do trends still fade?

I couldn't help but wonder: Was our perpetually hasty consuming habits causing trends to end up being a farewell (with hugs and kisses, if required to be a lil' more dramatic) denouement? Was it also because that the majority's mindset was 'fashion equals trend'? If so, why?

I deduced this theory: If one could emulate their favourite runway show/idol/celebrity by just merely purchasing that particular garment (especially after they wore it, and it being extremely affordable due to fast fashion aka high street labels knock offs; which eventually turned out even better than the actual designer's designs), why not?

Could this be the exact reason to why the hue 'oxblood' was a hit two fall/winter seasons ago (even though it sounded like literal ox's blood, and even in the resembling similarities between oxblood and ox's blood) and the utiltarian trend was bombing the entire street style last winter, but not now? Was it because designers feed the masses with too much fashion trends that, indirectly ended up conveying the message which asserted: 'If you don't work this *insert trend here* trend this coming season, you're not fabulous nor chic'?

Is life really a literal runway runway? And if so (or not), are we over overalls?

Despite those who swiftly ingurgitate new trends and having the old ones shifted out of their closets and into Salvation Army, there are a handful amount of individuals that still abide towards their style. But does it mean that they, absolutely, do not conform to fashion trends? We all know that in some ways, we subconsciously pursue (albeit sometimes persecute, life's that cut throat, yeah?) fashion trends whilst not keeping off tracking with our style. Think chaperoning black sneakers into one's 'black and only black' style, or welcoming logos and motifs into another's grunge style.

So which category do I fall under? Fashion trend, or style trend? Neither could I derive to a conclusion. It would be a blatant lie if I alledged "I'm all about my style", neither would it be right if I conjected "fashion only, style is ephemeral". I believe I oscillate equally between both.

(Marni x H&M sunglasses, Monki black overalls, Zara Men's breton t-shirt, Charles & Keith strappy sandals, PS1 clutch from Proenza Schouler)

Images done by Big from iPhone 5S