Borrowed Aggressively Taken From the Man




My aforesaid title make it sound as though I'm not a man.

To reduce the confusion with regards to my title and at the same time, draw close comparison to what I'd further illustrate about below, I'll give you guys the general idea of it. In fact, I'll tell you guys what it is about. Shirts. That's it. I know, it is such a succinct idea/garment yet it got itself (more like I got itself) into a messy state. This is what happened that left me cogitate this post:

I had a conversation with this girl I met at an event when I threw her this random question (probably it wasn't that random because I saw a couple of guys and girls wearing shirts): "Men's or women's shirt?"

Her reply was rather succinct: "Women's. Firstly because I'm a woman and secondly, their shirts accentuate your body!"

"Isn't that rather bias?" I retorted.

Was her first remark rather bias? Or was it rather conservative for her to believe that women could only wear shirts solely from their department and men could only put on a smart or casual shirt from the men's section? Has our society further develop gender prejudice into the specific segregation of clothing? If not so, then was it just the normality that guys are to shop at mens and ladies are restricted to ladies section in order to prevent, or minimize those eye darts filled of judgement and opinion made by sales assistants and not to forget, keep society happy as well? I do believe that some women look fabulous in a man's pants and some men look dashing in a hat labelled 'woman's'.

Is she right or is she bias?

"How am I bias?", she then retorted my retortion.

"You're showing favouritism to women's just because you're one," I replied calmly, trying to realise that I was one step closer to making enemies than friends.

"Then what about you?"

"Men's shirt definitely."

"You're equally bias too!"

I took a sip of the champagne I was clutching on my right hand. Was she right? Am I taking a stand for the unjustified men's shirts or am I simply too overly obsessed with them? I shouldn't have used definitely, I often spew out words I'd eventually regret. Now I'm putting the blame on my words. But I was pretty positive and sanely sober that I remarked that three words, 'Men's shirts definitely', without believing that I made this stand because I am, de facto, a guy.

I smiled and I left in order to prevent further embarrassment and awkwardness for either of us.

But why men's shirts? I have tons of shirts from the ladies (apparently that girl was right, shirts from Zara Woman do have that streamlined cut to emphasise that makes you look, or perhaps actually literally make you slimmer) but why do I still stand firm with my opinion? Below are a few answers I determined as to why I'd plant my feet on the ground and still adorning myself in a men's shirt:

1) You can eat as much as you desired since your boyfriend's shirt blatantly states that it is 'boyfriend', hence having the same conception as oversized and therefore stuffing your face with that extra slices of cheesy pizza wouldn't make any difference since your bloated belly wouldn't be exposed.

2) Since it's still summer, you'll want to dress yourself up in something loose, something less body hugging; in case you'd burst out in extra perspiration (you'd wish to avoid this but aww man!) because you feel constrain in those relatively tight fitting shirts from the women's.

3) They're actually (and surprisingly) much reasonably cheaper than women's. If you're on a tight budget and still want to look fashionable, then why not??

Convincing enough? I believe so, because I'm rather brainwashed by my own propaganda. Lol, jk. But seriously, if you'd decide that men's shirt do reap more satisfaction than harm and that my persuasion to join the 'Men's Shirt Club' worked, below are a few options for you to choose.


From left to right: 3.1 Phillip Lim fisherman shirtMSGM marbled shirt, Band of Outsiders split collar shirt and Gitman Vintage leaf printed shirt (All via Eastdane)

If you're wondering where mine's from, it's Zara. Come on, pick one and join the club!

Zara tartan x paisley patchwork shirt, Topman denim cutoffs, Proenza Schouler clutch, Ego & Greed leopard shoes.

Image credits Mr Big