You're the Phillip to my Lim



I'm unsure to why I'm particularly drawn towards Phillip Lim's designs. Is it because of his clean, yet relatively more abstract and artistic as compared to Alexander Wang, cut and structured garments that allured me? Or is it those trousers - that slowly phased into slouchy and relaxed fit which got be all baffled due to its ineffableness - meets feministic masculinity look that sapped me into forking out three hundred and twenty five (excluding shipping) for that pair of white bermudas?

No I kid, I didn't buy those bermudas. In fact, they sold out their size 00 (yes, their size 0 was too humongous on me..) before I could even step foot into their store.

I personally belief that Phillip made a huge (and positive) impression with his Fall 2013 collection. The people I know and met didn't quite agree with me. I had a conversation with one when I attended a Japanese fashion event last year. She remarked: "There's too many colour blocking and layering going on. I don't particularly like it." Despite the fact that she did compliment me on my print stacking - I was wearing four prints, namely; python, breton stripe, paisley and goldie (as in golden retriever) - it struck to me that we wasn't a man repeller; she was wanting to be a getter. She was clothed in white. Yes, I love whites, but her white was too.. white. It felt too safe. It felt like a virgin.

Regardless of her opinions, I still concluded that Fall 2013 proclaimed his success. It started off as fun and flirty, colours met utilitarian styled layering. The first two looks sold me. It then diffused into a slouchy suit (which H&M Studio 2014 is having one and I'm massacring to lay my hands on them) and more utilitarian styled layering with actual military toned colours. And there was the pioneer emergence of Ryder bag. It hooked me in. It was like cocaine. I inhaled that green rabbit fur Ryder bag on his second look in first, then a subsequent puff with the multi coloured rabbit fur (and eventually the bright pink ones which wasn't shown on the runway). Even before I came to my senses, I got addicted.

It took me quite awhile to comprehend his recent fall collection. In a good way. That cloud nine drug effect rippled from last fall to this fall. The oversized, boxy and slouchy ensemble simply screams "I'm doing my lazy business casual today." Those oversized slouchy with overly cuffed trousers (refer to second person on image one and last person on image two) just left my mouth overhung for hours. Okay I kid, hours was a little bit (just a teeny bit) exaggerated. But don't you think it's totes amaze if you could actually carry totes amaze?

Phillip, if you're seeing this, please do not stop your reproduction of slouchy trousers.

Images from style.com and collaged by me