The Hatty Topic






Two Sundays ago I wrote about the evolution of dresses - they transform into tops, or better still; they were already pre-before perceived as oversized t-shirts. I saw the wide ass brim hat I wore. I then thought about hats; that obnoxiously irritating accessory that could render one to be unable to put on their sunglasses properly, or worse (?), hinders and poses as a significant obstruction to others in terms of their sight. I got my wool object from Zara - men's section, which may cause you to wonder, how on earth man accessories became so sartorially articulated? - at about a fraction of the price you that you can find on high end boutiques and e-commerce because, who wears big ass hats other than Saint Laurent?

It got me staring at my hats (headwear in general). I had a few of them, in array of bowlers, wide brims, fedoras, printed fedoras, beanies and ball caps. They even had their time of trend too. There were a plethora of beanies last fall and an exchange thereafter for ball caps (was there a 1-for-1 returns and exchange policy I didn't notice?) during spring. When it comes to hats, there is a fine line between 'Person wore hat' and 'Hat wore person'. How is it possible to know that we've sufficiently put on enough head coverage and strategically not be overshadowed by it?

The answer is we don't. That is because we never hardly get dominated by our head-dresses. Yes, initially it might seem that the hat wore the person; that people are constantly throwing you (positive) 'shade' than their usual self, with some even commenting: "Omg, where did you get that hat from?". The reason? That's because they've always wanted the same too!

So why do we put on our thinking caps? Are we perpetually out there to annoy others by restricting their panoramic view and we secretly feel joyous and accomplished? Or are we out there to use it as an aegis from the harmful summer rays? Are we sadists or vampires? Or are we sadistic vampires?

I personally think that wearing hats can further accentuate one's features and ensemble. Think of it as accessorising, not adumbrating. And as my old adage goes (and many other's daily mantra): Why conform when you can stand out? The idea of perching hats - yes we might be deemed as socially awkward and a form of annoyance - could mean that we're willing to surmount our personal comfort zones. I mean, how many people out there are willing to put on a big brimmed hat out? Why be pseudo if we can be perfecto for rest of our lives?

Enough said, I'm going to wear my wide ass hat out now.

Images from style.com and manrepeller.com