The Inverted Basic Chic




Do you remember there was this time where everyone, correction; almost everyone, perfected the already immaculately perfected white t-shirt and denim jeans combo? Well, perhaps some of us (includes me) are still overly busy with perfecting its perfectness. We have become so sartorially enthused towards the secret to looking feign apathetic yet effortlessly chic using the above aforementioned combination, which it could surprisingly provide us (and society) with the necessary satisfaction and also conceal our perpetual - sometimes fake - lackadaisicalness. Who would have thought that putting both basic clothing necessities would create such a flawless finish? Fashion stylist from circa insert-year-here? Or is it simplicity style chasers who happen to also be fashion bloggers bravely and proudly put their 'omg I'm so lazy this is what I wore' look out there? If trends were to do what they're best at: come and go, why do people still love to oscillate between white t-shirt x denim jeans and another white t-shirt x another brand denim jeans?

I'm not saying this because I disagree towards the proposed counterfeit laziness chic look. In fact, I actually do adhere towards such mantra. The white t-shirt and denim jeans are two ingeniously created products that are forever bound to be au courant. I couldn't help but wonder: Is it good, or is it a bad thing? Are we going to see 'basic chic' aka the aforementioned top + bottom combination being our every day wear in circa twenty years time?

That would really be scary. Think about all the current movies right now: The Hunger Games and Divergent. They are all clad in somewhat homogenous outfits. That's like a whole new level of authoritarian regime that and ramifies into the fashion department.

I digressed. I would safely assure that such a look is a heritage that would continue and be passed on to our subsequent generations, maybe even to our future selves too. As aforementioned, they will be always au courant. It's not something you'll look at differently if your (fashion) nemesis happens to wear that same amalgamation too because, everyone else is doing so too. It's too classic, like the song Moon River (lol jk, I mention this because I love that corny song), it's different from the oxblood pullover or that denim dungarees or that utilitarian parka. They had their period of time, but now we prescribe them as what they - and by saying they I meant all trend - sadly happen to fall under: 'The Golden Years'. Yes, there was a trend for this look too. It is still known to be 'trendy' to be in this look. Perhaps the 'basic chic' trend might never fall into its supposed propriety.

Since there are the igniters, which then preceded on by the followers who mimic them, is it time whereby the starters start a new lackadaisical look? Yes, their legacy will still prevail, but shouldn't we source for better alternatives to make a possible plausible change to the 'Omg I am so going to wear my basic chic because I want to pretend to be lazy at the same time, chic' look?

This is where I had an indolent thought: Could the inversion of the basic chic outfit be the next basic chic outfit?

Which is what I really did just last Sunday. I replaced my white t-shirt for a denim chambray, and a denim jeans for a white (despite printed) pair. Could I have made the plausible new basic chic look? Or do you guys actually need some help (again) in getting those outfits so that you guys will malleate your thinking and agree with me? Alright, you got me.



Top Duo: 3.1 Phillip Lim chambray oversized t-shirt with Topshop ripped mom jeans.

Bottom Duo: Theory Men's mugen shirt and Current/Elliott cropped bootcut jeans.

Do I get your votes now?

Marni x H&M necklace, Topshop denim chambray shirt, Isabel Marant x H&M jeans, Zara sandals

Image credits Gladys