All That Glitters is Not (Mari)gold




Have you ever faced a scenario whereby you're stuck in between the choice of a tangerine or an amber pumps to go with your fancy outfit? Or have you been indecisive in either having an orange or a banana for your health conscious snack? Don't you just wish there was something in between so you could satisfy your taste (buds) with both options?

Retrospectively when I was about five, I engaged in a coloring project that comprises of a sprinting activity, with almost a quarter of the picture being just a trophy cup labelled '#1'. It was an immediate interpretation to what that supposed huge cup should be portrayed: gold. Coincidentally, I didn't major in Art & Craft, henceforth rendering the fact that I only own that basic twelve colored pencils. I knew I was short of that gold pencil, and my persuasion wasn't suffice for my mum to get me a new box.

'Just borrow it from your friend,' she mentioned.

'But none of my friends own any!' I lied, secretly hoping that she would change her mind and get me a new box.

'Then think of an alternate way,' she replied.

I did not know what 'alternate' was at that age. But what I knew was I could not get a new coloring set, and I'd have to complete my assignment by hook or by crook, if I didn't want to get punished. I knew I had to contemplate on another substitute. I glanced at my coloring pencils and pictured how gold would appear. That was when eureka stroke and gold was reimagined with orange and yellow coalescing each other.

It was an intelligent outcome, since the teacher congratulated me for my innovativeness (I also did not know what was this back then). I blended yellow into orange to get that subtle hue of gold; it wasn't gleaming, but the undertones were there. Yet, achieving an adequate amount of both colors was quite a challenging course. Often if we shade too much of either, we could end up pondering over this question: 'Why didn't we simply use the gold color pencil in the first place?' Was pseudo gold really the highlight of my 'victory'? I couldn't help but envied those who had a gold pencil. Their grand trophy was radiating that unforgettable luminous effect. What if my childhood colouring trick was just a pure scam? What if the mixture of mandarin orange and amber did not give me gold? What if it gave me another gold?

Marigold?

As fifteen years passed and I shed off that pure innocence of coloring tricks and perhaps dilemma, I recognized that marigold was de facto, the gold I could attain. And if gold was too old and florals were too groundbreaking, perhaps a little child's in between could become an in between seasons? Look at the first image, Rochas embraced marigold during resort '15. Even Rosie Assoulin did so too with a (man repelling) drawstring culottes with matching shirt! And what if Dsquared² replaced flowers with a floor length skirt that resembles marigold flowers (in my case, pseudo vaginas which actually meant awesome) during their recent spring collection? Could marigold be the plausible answer to the repetition of florals for spring?

Imagine if you had a party and the theme was floral (how witty and coincidental!), you wouldn't want to be that cliché next-door-girl who would deck herself in a garden party print. Instead, you'd want to go in something more unexpected, something marigold.


If you'd really decide that marigold was your choice, I'd recommend this Addison Addison x We Wore What interchangeable tank paired with a T by Alexander Wang raw edge mini skirt. Just make sure you don't fall into the pool or something (if it's a pool party). Hang this Marc Jacobs transparent sunglasses on your round collared neck to emulate the fact that you're actually really stylish, but you'd pretend that it's done effortlessly, not forcibly.  Carry this Kotur furry clutch that really resembles marigold flowers fluttering around on your purse and pair it with a classic Manolo Blahnik suede pumps to make you look like you're a walking literal marigold flower.

Enough said, how is marigold treating you?

Images from manrepeller.com, rosieassoulin.com, style.com and all around the Internet

Just in case you're wondering, above images from top to bottom: Rochas Resort '15, Rosie Assoulin Resort '15, Dsquared² Spring '15.