The Big Apple





New York, New York. They say that New York City is the best place to fall for the two Ls: Labels, and Love. Often, it is also mentioned that you could either fall in Love first, then with Labels (think; marrying a rich tycoon) or you call fall for Labels first, then Love (think; independent thirty-five year old woman who had a career in fashion, paid taxes, her rent and her very own Manolo Blahnik, then fortuitously met a man in the finance sector whilst getting lunch at Au Bon Pain). I coincidentally happen to simultaneously fall for both labels and love: at exactly 9th of August, 4.48pm.

It was the city, it was a label, and definitely it was love. As we stood across each other in Zara, I couldn't help but wonder: Is this reality? If so, are we meant to be?

He was this white Zara t-shirt with 'NEW YORK' embossed in inversion. Was it done on purpose? Or was it a Karen Smith moment? As aforementioned, it was the city, label and love all summed up in one succinct t-shirt. When I first saw it on Sabrina from afterdrk.com, I was completely smitten. I knew immediately that her relationship with that t-shirt was also something I desired and yearned for. I scouted and sourced through all the possible Zaras that existed in my country. It was a painstaking effort, considering the fact that I wasn't able to find him. Two weeks into looking but to no avail, I was devastated. Little did I know when you least expect it, there he lies, grazing and caressing the black glossy table top.

Lol I kid. He wasn't grazing that table top; he was shrewn all over it. And I didn't painstakingly look for it (in fact, I actually forgot about it, but hey, that doesn't mean I don't love it!), it happened fortuitously.

We went out on our first date a week after, alongside this velvet harem trousers I got from sale during H&M. Carrie Bradshaw once had 'a hot date with the city'. I was having the same now too. It was tons of unexpected joyous occasions you never once knew you could receive, only when you truly experience it. I once had a repartee with a friend who went "Date with your t-shirt? Who could you even kid, especially when it's white?". I didn't knew what she meant at that point of time, her questions at times are as challenging as mathematical equations that are (still) hard to decipher. Why would she doubt our relationship? We were almost the perfect couple, experiencing that pure sense of happiness that we could render single people that queasy (somewhat disgust) sensation.

Only when it was 3:57pm during 30th of August, I managed to solve that philosophical question.

I spilled curry all over myself.

And that was the end of my relationship with the city.

Lol jk, I actually bought a replacement. How could I simply end my relationship with the city? In a city that is known to be filled with accidental surprises (inclusive of spilling curry) and unfulfilled dreams, how different can it get when you're wearing the city?

Marni x H&M sunglasses, Zara inverted NYC t-shirt, H&M velvet harem pants aka pseudo sweat pants which kinda reminds me of the sports trend I was illustrating (aka sweat pants heyyy), Zara leather sandals and Proenza Schouler clutch.

Image credits Imran