The Denim-But-Not-Exactly-Denim Jeans





Is there an alternative to denim jeans?

Leandra Medine from the Man Repeller once mentioned that denim jeans are like bread. Similar to the white t-shirt, you can never tarnish its reputation by wearing it wrongly. Even if you see someone pairing it up with the most ratchet stripper heels and cropped bralet that only conceals 10% of each boob, you would never have a different perception (less think twice of it's immaculate capabilities) of the denim jeans.

Why is this so? Are we ingrained with the fact that denim jeans are, de facto, our staple diet in our everyday closet that no matter in which manner, or position, or style, one 'feeds' on their denim jeans, we would just shake it off (cues Taylor Swift now) and continue with our daily diets?

Despite the fact that you've tried on denim jeans with the white t-shirt combination, with a black t-shirt, with a chambray shirt, with a sequinned top, with a fur vest buckled underneath a camel coat, etc, we still never fail to revisit our past staple love. Maybe denim jeans is indeed like rice to Asians and bread to Westerners. And instead of rice and bread, it is of a unique source that can be commonly fed on by many different individuals with varying styles.

We thrive on similar denim day after day. Prove me if I'm wrong, but when you're out in town, or just running your errands or simply getting some caffeine fix, you may never not find at least one person in either a light, dark, or medium washed denim jeans. The immediate notion behind the word 'denim' instantaneously emanates (and thereby indirectly restricts) 'blue tones'. And thus forth, we all nourish ourselves in only a bowl full of blue denim jeans.

What I just said in the preceding paragraph does show that I'm against blue denim jeans. I'm not. I was never (maybe used to but now, nope) against any denim sort of. In fact, I'm favoring blue denim. I have two racks purely and solely for the storage of my blue denim jeans.

However, with all those prejudice and favoritism aside, do you think that the ideology behind denim being 'restricted' to solely blue should be revoked? Or shall we still persevere on? I believe we should mix around a fair bit, retain our inherent beliefs for blue denims and expand our opinions to accept colored and printed ones.

Hence, this is why I disregarded my blue denim jeans that were seen prevalently in other blog posts and hopped over to a colored (and printed) pair this time round. They are from H&M's collaboration with Isabel Marant, re-introducing her signature navajo printed jeans into the kids line (which I could fit into the largest size, yay!) at a cheaper price. They would do justice in times when my blue denim jeans are in the washers, fleeing in my mum's closet or hiding somewhere in the kitchen, in preparation for my next diet.

Uniqlo oxblood corduroy shirt, Isabel Marant x H&M navajo jeans, Bimba & Lola sandals

Image credits Imran