The Pants-Shorts (Aka Culottes)





Are you often, like me, impeded (or self-inhibited) by the boundaries of pants and shorts as your only two available choices for bottom-wear? Have you also, because of the preceding question, found yourself contemplating over wearing pants or shorts for approximately longer than thirty minutes that eventually is always the main reason to you being connoted as the 'frequent late-comer'? Have you ever also faced with the action of choosing either the jeans or shorts (usually denim) that would inadvertently push you to obtain an unwanted migraine effect?

For me, my answers are yes, yes and yes.

In the pool of shorts, cut-offs, trousers and jeans that floods not only my bed, but my racks and floors as well (aka cue clueless moment), it is often questionable when I start to be late whilst repeating in consecutive motions of the same few excuses like: 'I have nothing to wear', 'I couldn't find a proper pants/shorts' and 'My closet is deprived of new clothes'. It might be seemingly an easy idea since I have two racks of shorts and three racks of pants to actually randomly (with my eyes close for optimal fun-induced factor) pull out one and slip it up my ass, but in reality, it isn't. You can't possibly close your eyes to reach for a shorts or pants. You can't possibly do that without knocking over other furniture display. You can't possibly think that the Balenciaga shirt you got during a sample sale would look great with both pants and shorts.

This is why some genius invented the in betweens. And he coined it as 'culottes'.


I'm actually thankful we could finally find something in between. During times when we're stuck with a ten minute approaching appointment and too much choices between shorts and pants, we can finally receive an answer without compromising on our punctuality. If you have not explore such an alternative pathway, here are a few suggestions. A Creatures of the Wind military green culottes neatly paired with a yellow buckled strappy sandals, or a No. 21 grey culottes if you're working in the office sector, or a Rebecca Taylor floral muted print culottes if you're a spring kind of girl, or if yore more towards safe, this Whistles blue patchwork culottes might do the trick (I guess).

With that, can we still use 'I don't know to choose pants or shorts' as an excuse for our untimeliness? I don't know, but I actually found an alternative. Please don't tell anyone I taught you that

Jil Sander navy culottes, Balenciaga silk shirt,

Image credits Imran