The Persisting Utilitarian




Can we just explain how the utilitarian (also know as military) trend has been persisting (and constantly relieved) till this fall? We have seen it in Isabel Marant (too bomb), Calvin Klein and Balmain this fall, Phillip Lim and Tibi last fall, even till Prabal, Suno and Tommy Hilfiger two seasons back.

So why is the utilitarian trend still perpetually persisting every fall-winter? Are we simply running short on ideas and thus reliving similar trends repetitively or is it because of it's relevant dark hues that inadvertently relates to fall? Maybe it is due to the fact that utilitarian is very applicable; it is a semi complex idea (I used to associate utilitarian with wartime affairs only and am still kinda unsure with the subtle difference) yet easy to grasp (it actually is just inspired by military wear that usually fall into the hue spectrum of navies and khakis). Maybe it is due to the fact that utilitarian trend emanates that certain tough, yet wearable vibe every girl (or guy too) wishes to possess and exude.

I love how this fall, Isabel Marant is all about her signature bohemian with a tinge of that resilient vibe. It is efficaciously enough (yet somewhat tricky since it's two different trends and henceforth style) to be warfare ready without losing her initial track. And because of that, I was contemplating on being prepared if I were to be thrown onto the battlefield almost instantaneously. I put on my paint splattered utilitarian 'suit' from Zara (which I just realized it might have been a cheaper alternative - not knock off, that's not a nice phrase to use - of that to J. Crew) and my satin Superga (not exactly a right choice since my friend stepped on it twice) just to make sure I am call-back ready.

Since I'm prepared myself, I guess I shall gear you guys up too, right?



Since we're on the topic of Isabel Marant, I'm suggesting her recent signature navajo styled print pullover and a matching skirt (I don't know why they have a different shade in tone despite being similar, but I believe it is just the camera lighting) paired with H&M's latest collaboration with Alexander Wang thigh high socks that is neatly worn and tucked into this Pour La Victoire booties.

Too cold for you? Perhaps you can snuggle up in this 3.1 Phillip Lim cable knit, do a little side tuck in this Rag & Bone skinny jeans and pull up these Alice + Olivia thigh high bootie because it's shoe-pants time. Just don't forget to wear socks inside.

As for bag option, I'll leave it up to you guys. But I'm suggesting a cross body bag. Just in case you gotta run with your rifles in your hands. #justsaying

Zara utilitarian paint splattered construction shirt and trousers, COS black t-shirt, Monki bag and Man Repeller x Superga satin mustard sneakers

Image credits Imran using iPhone 5S, collage images from all over the web.

P/S: And Happy Birthday to my friend Jolene!