Lessons On Layering: Shirts


When it comes to shirts, there are a few considerations we will need to acknowledge. First, the head-scratching, hair-tugging crisis between the options of buttoning and unbuttoning. Next, choosing whether to tuck them in, or have them tucked midway (slot into the pants at the front and leaving it hanging loosely at the back), or having one side of the shirt tucked in whilst having the other side dangling or not even do the tuck at all (no pun intended). Lastly, can we actually layer shirts? With more shirts?

Actually, there are many other dilemmas just by handling the topic on shirts, but let us just stick with three otherwise this would be an endless debate.

But can we layer shirts with more shirts? Will we look immaculately creative or will we wind up in an endless mess that brings us back to stripping our entire outfit and succumbing back to our 'Omg I have nothing to wear!' mantra? To be honest, I'm clueless. But we can't deny the fact that this is actually a witty idea. So before you guys think that you'll wind up in an eventual hodgepodge, I'll assure you otherwise. Why? Because I just did it and I personally think I look adventurous mixed with a tinge of ingenuity (just a tinge). I think I just mastered what Man Repeller formal forte was: layering and then repel.

Here's how you do it:


First, I start off with something most of us would feel comfortable in wearing that actually resulted in the plethora of similar hashtag ootds; muscle tank and denim cut-offs. I kicked off those ubiquitous sliders (that actually might instigate me to get one from H&M Spring Studio collection; image cc silksofine) and slip on some actual brogues with bright colored soles inspired from Prada.


I discarded that muscle tank and put on a soft organic cotton printed shirt, which have an uncanny resemblance to mud and forest, which might actually be the key to camouflage in times of war. Talk about looking fabulous when you're out in the battlefield.


Over that mud printed shirt (I just don't know what to call it, lol. But muddy print might be the next 'It' thing, you never know) I put on a denim shirt that has beaded embroidery fastened to its hem. You can actually do the twist to emanate that elusive vibe because the beads actually jingle peacefully when you do that. You can go ahead and try it.


Lastly, I tied a tartan shirt around my waist because, you never know when you might actually catch a cold and that you'll need an extra aegis that isn't overly thick (if you're like me, staying somewhere in the equator) like a blazer, yet substantial enough to suffice from the cold.

Idea seems odd but why not try something new? People are constantly going 'New year, new me' but I would rather prefer 'New year, new variations'.

T by Alexander Wang muscle tank, Topman denim cut-offs, H&M Conscious inner shirt, H&M beaded hem shirt, Topman red tartan shirt tied around the waist, Swear burgundy brogues

Image credits Imran