"Thou Shalt Not Pair Black With Blue", Says Not Me







While I was on my way back in a cab from an early Christmas dinner a few weeks back, the driver questioned us: "What is the utmost essential factor that keeps one propelling?"

"Money", my mum instantaneously replied.

I simply shrugged my shoulders.

"Uhm...", was my brother's response.

"The most important factor that keeps one progressing in life is relationship".

I have to give it to him; without relationship, we are doomed to meet an endless cycle of singlehood that has completely zero chance of matrimony. We also won't be able to have that friend we call 'best friend' whom we could entrust with our secrets and pledge solidarity. We will be stuck with mixing around with people of our similar gender without hopes of forming a platonic relationship. And the most important part is that we won't be able to comprehend what it is like to be deemed as 'not suitable to be in a relationship together'.

That got me thinking. I was still reading 'How to Be Parisian Whenever You Are', and perhaps re-reading the areas that doesn't consist of love and relationships (no pun intended I swear). I stumble across a part where there was a mention about an inconspicuous existence (I have never hear of it before, only when my mum and this book commented on it) of a phrase: "Thou shalt not pair black with blue". It further portrayed Parisians hanging out in a bath tub donned in a simple navy blue v-neck pullover (probably cashmere) and black skinny jeans.

Are Parisians just constant rebels who refuse to abide to the rules? Or do they realize that the combination of black and blue actually meshes well together? Why is the aforementioned color combination even a taboo? Who even invented such an orthodox?

There are things in life that seem rather impossible to coexist with each other because of either their extreme disparity or lack of similar commonplace, but when countlessly and perhaps relentlessly gravitated, they produce the wonders that might just render us going: "Are we stupid to think that they couldn't look good as a couple?" This is why I took this relationship to a test. I meshed blue and black together and I couldn't help but comment: "Are the perpetrators ridiculous?"

Here are two looks of same relationship but of different nationalities. If you could tell, the former is slanted towards the New York meets athleisure style, starting off with a navy Man Repeller x Être Cécile t-shirt and a running shorts from Alexander Wang x H&M. Sneakers are from Nike and worn with a blazer from Zara to dampen the overly sportish look. The latter is nonetheless Parisian (chic) with a Monki navy cotton t-shirt, Zara cigarette jeans and Zara patent loafers.

So how was the rebellion? Are they worthy to be a couple or do you still think that they shouldn't coexist?

Image credits Imran