Your Signature Style




After twenty years of dressing up and getting attached to the whole theory of fashion (which definitely was coupled with a little fashion faux pas and mishaps), I often find myself revolving around the same question which consistently and inevitably leaving me perplex for the longest possible time in history ever: What is my signature style?

I grew up loving fashion, admiring models that were two heads taller than me (then, but they're still one head taller than me now) strutting elegantly down the runways to fashion designers intricately fabricating pieces also known as couture. I loved high street brands (even till now) and I would always make sure that I sufficiently economized (a nicer phrase for save up and starve) in order to purchase that particular 'It' garment. I was always full of energy and passion, following every single trend to actually stay 'fashionable'. In retrospect, when the ombré trend was popularized resulting in ubiquitous various multi-colored hairstyles, I got mine too: in a gradual gradient from white to lime green suit.

Then I discovered the Man Repeller. I was baffled and intrigued by her sense of cool style and demeanour. I started to emulate her by accomplishing and actually mastering print blocking and multiple arm accessories also known as arm parties.

Even till this point, the Man Repeller herself (and her team) still inspires me. Definitely, I have expanded with a few other inspirational figures with strong personal style I look up to: Caroline de Maigret, Jenna Lyons and Inès de la Fressange. Getting tips from my style personages are still inevitable, but I stopped emulating them. I guessed I (finally) found something I'm comfortable in. Stripes, shirts, blazers, navies, khakis, cigarette jeans and subtle, but strong arm accoutrements are what I feel would resemble best as my 'personal style'. I see myself repeating them for a couple of months, maybe years. Since change is an apparent constant, when I'm forty (or perhaps thirty) my style may be different.

As I look back to reminisce such moments, I couldn't help but wonder how I managed to outlive through the several moments of being in other people's shoes. I won't deny that I actually did enjoy it; it took me a few instances (frankly, it was years instead) to realize how I am actually beginning to embark on a journey titled personal style instead of travelling in other's footsteps. Through emulating others, I would believe it was a process of identifying oneself (it actually shaped me to who I truly am in terms of style) that would eventually result in satisfactory conclusions.

Despite actually discovering my style, I was pondering over this surmise: Is personal style an intuition, that you will somehow subconsciously know it when the right time is right? Or is it something that is inherent, that like sexuality, you need to explore the various choices before settling down for what you truly believe in? I actually stand for both speculations. We somehow just need to grab our bags and embark on a backpacking trip, and we will simply just know it when we finally arrive at our heart's desired destination.

So for now, I feel most at ease when I'm pulling up those denim cigarette jeans and loosely tucking in a navy oversized shirt. What about you?


Zara navy shirt, Uniqlo cigarette jeans, Adidas 'Stan Smith' sneakers

Images all done by Imran

Get this look for $24+ on Lookastic: Navy Long Sleeve Shirt, Blue Jeans, White Lace Low Top Sneakers