The All New Series: Confessions of a Shopaholic Shoeaholic


An adage (adapted from Carrie Bradshaw from The Carrie Diaries) goes: When a door closes, a shoe box opens. Well, in my case, it's two. Alright, I lied. It's actually three. Okay, let's get real. It's four.

Yeah, it's four.

Do you know what I had been doing for the past few months? (Hint: regarding shoes) Immensely scrolling through the pages of Solestruck and Nastygal whilst praying to Jesus that my shoes are still encrypted (well, in this case, it's the webpage, not the shoes itself) with the word 'In stock'. I could've spend this time reading Man Repeller repetitively (not that I didn't, but still), or well, scrolling through the pages of both ASOS and Shopbop, clicking on the 'Save to wishlist' button for every single piece of garment I found attractive (in man repelling terms). Or rather something more productive, generating ideas for my upcoming portfolio (which I happened to accidentally threw them away, omg) or new OOTDs for my subsequent posts.

But no, I didn't spend my time productively. I was just there, sitting right in front of my MacBook (and also my mobile device), hoping - whilst praying real hard - that a Black Friday sale would miraculously happen in Solestruck.

And nope, it didn't happen (just in case you would like to know).

Flashback yesterday: 'Why does this always happen to me?', I thought to myself, whilst strutting limping barefooted - with blisters all over my feet five to be precise, in which I counted - back home with my Candela velvet pumps on one hand and my Alexander Wang Rockie on the other, 'Why do I always do this? Purchasing countless amount of shoes that doesn't fit well on me?'.

The Devil dictated: 'That's because shoes are your crack. And a few blisters ain't gonna bring you down. I mean, it's just a few blisters, come on. You love shoes, and you need more shoes. Beauty over comfort. That's it. Period.'

The Angel then appeared and responded: 'Oh please, it's not you, it's just that the shoes are really, really convincing. Who wouldn't fall in love with a pair of new booties? But then again, it might be you, since you always resonate around shoes and shoes and more shoes.'

'Thank you so much, that really helped,' in which I replied sarcastically.

The Angel has fallen. Now I have two devils.

'Awesome'.

But anyway, the point is that whilst limping, I became conscious that I don't abide to the saying 'If the shoe fits' (I know there's no inter-relation between the phrase and the issue but it's just an imagery to describe the situation best). Instead, I inaugurated and followed the mantra 'If the shoe doesn't fit, jab your foot in till it fits'. And this, resulted into the proliferation of one/two-sizes-too-small shoes I own.

'Beauty over comfort. Yeah... Well, at least you still look fashionable barefooted while clutching 'em babies under your arms.'

In clockwise direction:

A) Superga 2950 in Ecru, S$69.90

B) Jeffrey Campbell Daltrey in Floral (but I still prefer it to be called 'paint of life') via Nastygal, $150

C) Aldo studded wedge sneakers in White, which reminds me of how much I want a pair of Isabel Marant, S$129

D) Candela Green velvet flats via Saks, something I (accidentally and casually) snagged off the shelves during their sale, S$159

If you think that's all, wait till you see my ever perpetual shoe wish on Solestruck...