Let's Talk Denim


Denim. An item that is always overly exploited by everyone because of its simplicity, yet providing substantial casual chic-ness in one's ensemble.

Was that a good opening statement? (Hahaha!)

Recently, not only I have been neglecting this space much, but I'm also resonating towards denim (and more denim), and I don't even know why. Reminisce three weeks back: Stepping out of Zara with bags and bags of clothes on 'Sale' that consists of only acid wash baggy jeans, ripped boyfriend denim and a light chambray denim shirt. Is it because denim is such a staple, that it provides efficacious and effortless casual chic look that I adore? Or is it because that I'm heavily influenced by The Man Repeller, till I'm impersonating her subconsciously? Either way (which I eventually conceded that it is both the reasons, and maybe even more), I know that being proprietary of the overflowing yet pseudo synonymous denim (they come in different shade, textures and cutting. None are exactly similar) would result me in stacking them together.



Above images: Me (as the top model) in a denim - with gorgeous embroidery at the back which cannot be seen sadly - shirt with a relaxed fit jeans. And you've guessed it right, it's all from Zara (apparently I believe they are one of the best high street retailers when it comes to denim production). Oh and wait, here's toast to another denim meets denim attire with a soft, chambray denim tee overlayed with a roughly edged denim shorts. And yeah, they're from Zara too. Just kidding, the former's from Topshop whilst the latter's from Topman (with my DIY, trimming an old jeans to shorts) respectively. I'm not really that of a Zara whore. Okay okay I have to confess, the jacket's from Zara.

Oh yeah, just in case I were to forget, the shoes are Doc Marts and Superga (2750 in Green Pine) respectively. But I highly doubt that you could see them in the above images.

But how boring can your #ootd go with just denim on denim, and on more denim only? With me dressing up in denim only (whilst others as well too), have I gone back to the 50s? Is denim the new black? Or is denim the self-proclaim (aka me) new black? So in order to compensate my overly abuse of denim (or some pseudo denim as well), I came up with the idea of let's-just-wear-denim-shorts-and-pair-it-up-with-something-so-I-don't-lose-my-#fashionstylist-capabilities.


Figure three: Me (again) in a pair of ripped, light denim shorts which I hastily purchased (as usual) from Topman, because I didn't have a pair of ripped, light denim shorts! Is this reason legit enough? Because as a matter of fact, it is indeed true. While I put on my American Apparel beanie that has been hackneyed (similar to thinking caps) and channel my inner stylist (alter ego), I've decided that it should go with this 'Loser' pullover I got off the sale racks at Topman few months back, and finally putting my Jeffrey Campbell kicks to use. Yes, call me a loser, but seriously, I don't care, because I'm happy that I'm impersonating the Man Repeller (my usual mantra).

Yup, that's pretty much it. Till then, I hope to source for the perfect dark denim jeans (Which I conveniently saw it in Zara racks for 109 bucks, man!). Or maybe I should also get a cut offs from Levi's. Hmmm...


Imran & Wayne as photographer