Sean Seyfried Guides: DIY Your Own (Ratchet) Arm Party


When it comes to DIY, there are three phrases I could derive from such an acronym: Do It Yourself, Damage It Yourself and Don't Involve Yourself. Basically two out of three are attached to the negative attribute, which most of us (actually just and mainly me) would often find ourselves trapped in like it's a quicksand. So what draws these like poles together when in reality, they are meant to repel each other forever? Are we (Am I) perpetually clumsy and have fat fingers (lame excuse) that we could (I can) never actually do a proper beading work despite proclaiming that we are (I am) inherently creative - and thus stereotypically known to be both artful and craft-ful? Or is it because that a particular DIY (do it yourself) would evolve into an unexpected twist of DIY (damage it yourself) and eventually finding yourself (myself) heading towards a particular DIY (don't involve yourself) denouement, that constant repetition make it seem like the vicious cycle could never be broken?

Is is truly possible that like poles are only meant repel?

The next day I got myself associated with such a particular DIY. I realized that the lovely Anyagrams arm parties by Anya Hindmarch were never meant to be my possession that I could pass down to my unknown (and probably never known) future generations and eventually finding itself repeating the awesome arm party hereditary symbolism. It was really tricky, like I was dealing with an ex. I then found myself stuck in the same cycle of conscious repetition of similar relationship - DIY upon DIY upon DIY. Do It Yourself then Damage It Yourself and then Don't Involve Yourself. Was DIY actually something really addictive like cocaine and shoes that I constantly find myself involve in such an activity? Am I simply reliving the DIY dating damage cycle?

I still put my 'creative talents' to the test. I once dated DIY cycle, which snapped my bracelet which left me a minor gush on my finger. It is what I call 'painful creativity', but I didn't give in. I continued to strive on and 'invented' more chain and lace parties.

They never really made it. I was caught in a renditioned pool of bloody fingers and a sea of damaged threads and pony beads.

When I got myself involved in the above arm party DIY, I realized that I was trapped in the diabolical dating occult. But without further ado and other corny 'love hurts' story that would eventually result in the subconscious rambling, let's get down (again) with this love-hate relationship!


Step 1: Gather your necessary accoutrements.


Step 2: Start by estimating how much arm gathering you want on your wrist and the slogan you want your arm party to contain. In my case it was 'Ratchet' to describe our DIY relationship.

Step 3: String up some beads (I'm using some teeny glass beads) and the slogan, and then more beads.

Step 4: Tie all the loose ends together.


Step 5: Tadah! You managed to break the repulsive cycle of DIY. Now werk them.

Step 5 alternative: If you didn't get to this part, don't worry. I have a list of other arm parties for you. What's DIY if you can get someone else to DIFY: Do It For You.


From left, going clockwise: I'm a UnicornBombshellLucky DuckyFoxy LadySex Kitten and Hot Chick. All from Venessa Arizaga via Shopbop.

Image credits Imran